Note: Hi, mates! Just a a fast reminder – among the hyperlinks on this website are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I could earn a little bit money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t price you something further, and is a pleasant method to assist assist this website! I additionally need to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t truly tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
If you’ve been following me right here at Meat Free Keto for some time, you recognize that I take pleasure in drawing inspiration from varied cuisines for my recipes. I feel it’s actually enjoyable to discover different cultures by way of meals, elements and rituals round consuming. Fun reality: I truly wished to get a Masters Degree in Gastronomy with a give attention to Food & Culture, however I couldn’t justify the expense, only for the enjoyable of it. Anywho, my husband and I wished to plan a visit to Hawaii for this winter, as a result of I’ve by no means been anyplace tropical, however we’e realizing this isn’t within the playing cards for us this yr. So, I made a decision to create a little bit mini trip for us through meals. The first recipe on this culinary tour is a low carb vegan primary poke that may be eaten alone as a facet salad, or inside a poke bowl.
Is this a conventional recipe? Of course not. It’s watermelon as a substitute of tuna and it’s being made outdoors of Boston by a woman who has by no means even been to Hawaii. However, this recipe is completely scrumptious and positively price making if you wish to infuse your day with a little bit Hawaiian taste.
Also, earlier than you are concerned an excessive amount of: sure, you may have fruit on keto. There’s a saying that I like to use to conditions like this: the harm is within the dose. What I imply by that, is whereas watermelon isn’t low carb by nature, if you happen to restrict the serving measurement, you may simply accommodate the carbs into your day. In this case, the serving measurement is 75g, which is a few half cup of cubed watermelon, and it incorporates 5.3g of web carbs. So, whereas it’s not the bottom carb meals on the planet, it’s not out of the realm of prospects.
I’ll be posting a poke bowl recipe utilizing this poke in a bit, so keep tuned for that! I’d additionally love to listen to if you happen to make this – both within the feedback under, or on instagram.
Notes on Making Low Carb Vegan Basic Poke
- Order of operations is vital right here. While it could not appear essential to empty the watermelon, or let it marinate, it truly makes a reasonably large distinction in the long run.
- The recipe requires round 2 cups (300g) of cubed watermelon, which is concerning the quantity that you could purchase pre-cut in shops. This was performed very purposefully, so that you don’t have to purchase an entire watermelon!
- This recipe doubles actually properly. And realistically, you don’t even have to completely double the marinade elements. For double the amount of watermelon, I used 1.5 occasions the quantity of marinade elements. While you may simply double every part, I observed that quite a lot of the sauce simply pooled on the backside of the bowl, and was type of wasted.
- While I attempt to offer correct dietary data, completely different varieties and types of elements may have various nutrient values, so your calculations won’t be the identical as mine. If it’s fairly shut, I wouldn’t fear an excessive amount of about it! If it’s a bit far off, possibly double examine the mathematics or the ingredient labels.
Low Carb Vegan Basic Poke
This Hawaiian-inspired low carb vegan model of a primary poke makes for a scrumptious facet dish and provides a little bit of flare to a veggie bowl.
- 300g (~2 cups) cubed watermelon
- 1 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp recent grated ginger
- half of tsp pink pepper flakes
- 2 stalks scallions, sliced (inexperienced half solely)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (I like utilizing these black ones for the drama)
- Cube the watermelon into items which can be round 1inch/2.5cm. Place the items right into a bowl, and chill (uncovered) within the fridge anyplace from 1 hour to in a single day. This will let the watermelon drain utterly, and the floor will dry out from being uncovered within the fridge, which can permit it to soak up the sauce higher.
- Once the watermelon has chilled (for nevertheless lengthy you resolve), drain the cubes and switch them to a lidded storage container.
- In a small dish, whisk collectively the remaining elements (apart from the sesame seeds). Pour this marinade over the watermelon and shake the container to distribute the sauce. Make certain the lid is secured!
- Let the watermelon marinate for anyplace between 1-Four hours within the fridge, in order that the flavors mix collectively and the watermelon absorbs the sauce. I wish to shake the container each hour or so simply to re-distribute the marinade.
- Once chilled, toss the watermelon with the sesame seeds and serve. I wish to drizzle the remaining sauce over the watermelon, as a result of why let all that taste go to waste?
I like to recommend letting the watermelon drain for at the least an hour after which marinate for an hour earlier than serving. For the perfect outcomes, go the space and chill the watermelon in a single day after which marinate for a number of hours.