Note: Hi, buddies! Just a a fast reminder – a few of the hyperlinks on this web site are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I could earn somewhat money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t value you something further, and is a pleasant means to assist assist this web site! I additionally need to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t truly tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
If there’s one factor I can assure after I put up a recipe, it’s that individuals will ask about substitutions. I completely perceive, as somebody with a good quantity of restrictions, however irrespective of what number of totally different substitutions I attempt to embody within the notes, somebody at all times desires one thing else. Years in the past, I posted a recipe for vegan keto bagels that grew to become immensely standard and the commonest query I get from individuals is “can I substitute anything for the flax?” So, I’ve lastly gotten round to this, and am excited to current my flax-free vegan keto bagels.
Typically, individuals will ask if they will sub chia seeds for the flax, as this normally a secure alternative. I attempted this, many instances, and it actually didn’t work out. Similarly, coconut flour was a bust. Plus, I understand how polarizing coconut may be, and I really feel like each time I put up a recipe for one thing with coconut flour, I’ve to brace myself for the slew of feedback about how a lot individuals hate coconut. 😀
Anyway, the flour alternative that appeared to work greatest simply so occurred to be one which I’ve actually gotten into these days: lupin flour! Lupins (or lupini) are a kind of bean, commonest within the Mediterranean, and one which has actually taken off, because of ketoers. It’s tremendous low in carbs and excessive in protein. Usually, I purchase lupini beans brined in jars from both the Kosher or Mediterranean meals part of my native grocery retailer, however I’ve additionally seen them within the Latin American meals part. The flour is a unique story, although, and I’ve solely been capable of finding it on-line.
A fast notice – these don’t style precisely like bagels. For starters, they aren’t boiled earlier than being baked. However, they’re nonetheless fairly darn scrumptious and make an exquisite base for vegan cream cheese or a buttery unfold. I additionally like to make use of them to make tiny bagel pizzas with them.
Tips on Making Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
- If you do not need a meals scale, I like to recommend measuring the flour and psyllium like this – scoop the psyllium/flour somewhat bit too full after which gently shake the measuring cup over the bag till the measuring cup flattens out. Scooping the flour and urgent it to the facet of the bag to flatten it is going to compress the flour, and you’ll have an excessive amount of. Too a lot lupin flour simply makes issues somewhat dry, so not an enormous deal, however price noting.
- You can not substitute the psyllium for something, sadly. You can use both psyllium husk, or psyllium powder (in equal quantities by weight), simply be sure you whisk all of the dry components collectively, as psyllium powder tends to clump up simply.
- I wish to prime these with all the pieces bagel mix. It’s not a mandatory step, however an awesome one.
- These are best to de-pan with a silicone bagel mildew, however should you don’t have a silicone one, you possibly can simply grease the pan with coconut oil (or no matter you’ve on-hand) earlier than filling it.
- While I attempt to supply correct dietary info, totally different manufacturers and styles of components may have differing macros, so your calculations could fluctuate!
Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
These easy-to-make vegan keto bagels are allergen-friendly and are flax-free, coconut-free, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free! They’re excellent for toasting up with some buttery unfold or making into little bagel pizzas.
- half cup, plus 2 tbsp (75g) lupin flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt (add as much as 1 tsp if utilizing unsalted tahini)
- 1/four cup (20g) complete psyllium husks
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- half cup (120g) tahini
- optionally available all the pieces bagel mix or sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). If utilizing a metallic bagel tin, flippantly grease every properly with oil and if utilizing a silicone bagel pan, no prep is critical.
- To a mixing bowl, whisk collectively lupin flour, psyllium husk, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine collectively water and tahini till completely mixed.
- Stir the dry components into the moist, after which stir to type the dough/batter. It’s going to appear to be soup at first, however that is regular! It will thicken up in about 5 minutes, because the lupin flour and type a thick batter. It will not pour, however you possibly can scoop it.
- Scoop into the wells of your bagel pan, and easy out a bit. These will rise within the oven and alter form barely, so this does not need to be excellent.
- Now’s the time so as to add that bagel mix!
- Bake for round 30-35 minutes, till golden brown. Let cool utterly after which take away from the pan. I discover that protecting the bagels within the pan with a big lid in order that they steam whereas they cool helps them to remain softer on the skin.
- To get pleasure from, reduce in half and toast such as you would a standard bagel. Then prime as desired!
I discovered these turned out one of the best with a silicone bagel pan, however should you solely have a daily one, you possibly can simply grease it with somewhat oil earlier than placing the batter in!